Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Day 24 - Say Yes to Integrity

Yesterday, we discussed the danger of hypocrisy and the negative impact it can have on our relationships. No appreciates being told about the speck of dust in their eye when they can clearly see the plank in your own eye!

In Chapter 24, Tom Holladay encourages us to "Say Yes to Integrity". Over the last few weeks, Tom has shown us the importance of being honest in our relationships and that we owe it to our friends and family to help guide them when they need assistance. But if want to be heard, we need to take care of our own issues first - and that is integrity. Integrity means, "you make up your mind in advance to do the right thing."
Tom recommends that if you really want to be held accountable for your own actions, tell someone about it in advance. I like to run for fitness. A few years ago, a friend and I would meet to run every morning before work. We held each other accountable for showing up and putting in the miles. Well, eventually our career paths diverged and I didn't have anyone holdingme accountable for running. I would run for a few days, then take a week off. Eventually, I was taking more days off than I was running. So I decided to start a running streak where I would run at least 1 mile everyday - not matter what. And to make sure I'd stick with it, I told people about it and even started a blog. I had people asking me every few weeks if I was still doing that impossible streak. It really helped becasue I didn't want to have to tell them that I didn't make it. In case you are wondering, my first attempt at that streak ended at day 364, but I've started another streak and hopefully I can make it this time.

In our relationships, integrity is even more important. Tom suggests making the following three choices to hold yourself more accountable.

1. Choose to Speak theTruth - not about others, but yourself.
2. Choose to Be Honest about Yourself - "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed" - James 5:16
3. Choose to Ask for God's Help - we don't have the power to overcome our weaknesses on our own.

Day 25 - Say Now to Mercy

No comments:

Post a Comment