Sunday, February 15, 2009

Day 3 – Love God with All Your Heart

Let me start with a quote. “God’s principles don’t change our lives.”

Yes, that caught my attention as well. How could Tom Holladay suggest that? Well, he's right.

It is FAITH in God’s principles that changes our lives. We must believe and have faith that God’s principles can change us and then we need to act on that faith.

Back on day one we were reminded of the most important command
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.

To see real change in our relationship with God, we must recognize or feel that something needs to improve, we need to decide to do something about it, we need to think about what we are going to do, and then we must do something. Ignore any one of these, and you will fail to realize change.

A good suggestion for a place to start:

Talk To God Out Loud and With Emotion.
1. Talk to God about your feelings.
2. Talk to God about your weaknesses.
3. Talk to God about his strengths.
4. Tell God your fears.
5. Pour out to God the desires of your heart.
6. Openly and emotionally admit your sins to God.
7. Say out loud what you know to be true.

I’ll be the first to admit I am a terrible prayer. When I pray, lesser things filter in and cause my thoughts and mind to wander. Many nights, as I find time to finally pray, I often drift off to sleep. How awful is it that I take that time with God for granted to the point that I can’t even stay awake? I can’t even imagine how annoyed my wife would be if I fell asleep every time I sat down to talk to her.

As my first action of faith, I am going to make an effort to follow Tom’s suggestions when I pray. I’m also going to make time to pray throughout the day, just as I would with my wife. I always look forward to that midday call at work from my wife, how much more should I desire the same time with God. So the next time it appears that I am talking to myself, give me the benefit of the doubt - I just might be praying.

Day 4 - Love God with All Your Soul


No comments:

Post a Comment